Monday, January 12, 2009

My first quilt--maybe, kinda, sorta

My first quilt

Several years ago, I decided I wanted to try quilting. So Mom presented me with a panel and I set out on my merry way. I quilted for a bit, and then, as happens with my projects sometimes (a lot of times), it got put aside for other things.

Including other quilts.

Oh well. This one was still first. I picked it back up before Christmas, put it down again to do Christmas crafting, and just clipped the last threads from the binding (Pictures were taken pre-thread-clipping. Sorry about that).

It was my first bias binding. Also, the first time I attached binding by machine.
first quilt binding
The wonkiness of the binding is not my favorite, but I love the bias-ness, and the yellow! I think it adds a nice touch. And as Mom points out, it's probably sturdier when machine sewn than it would have been with my standard slip-stitching job.

It was also my first time doing any sort of free motion quilting. Which I think is fun. I think I'm going to have to make a bunch of quilted pouches and stuff to practice, though.
first quilt quilting
Aren't the bunnies cute?

It's been folded up and put away for the next time I see my parents. Either my mom or my grandma will get it to some sort of charity providing quilts for kids. I hope they like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment